Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

“But you are damaged. Aren’t you?”

It’s a statement Dr. House posed to Dr. Cameron, one of his staff. She was prodding him for answers as to why he really hired her. It was obvious by Cameron’s expression that when she came looking for answers to validate her place on House’s staff, that she didn’t expect to be exposed. But, House, as I’m quickly learning, is not one to avoid the intrusive, red-light kind of questions.

This morning that scene kept surfacing as I chatted with Jesus over a cup of coffee. So, I asked myself,

Am I damaged? If so, what value does damaged goods have in the kingdom of God?

House exposes Cameron. While we don’t know at this point what her backstory is, the truth is out – she is damaged. (Frankly, so is he.) But House confronts Cameron with it. Now, because it’s out there, because someone else has identified it, she’s exposed. What will she do with that, I wonder?

Jesus’ work in our lives is no different. Through the Holy Spirit’s involvement, He exposes our “stuff” (John 16:8-15).

Yes, Blythe, you are damaged.

Yikes. That's not very nice.

But it doesn’t end with exposure. Exposure is only the beginning. There’s a response to being exposed.

Dr. Cameron’s response is to merely turn and walk away from House. Somehow, for us, I think the more critical response when Jesus exposes us is to stay in the conversation. No matter how painful. No matter how ugly. No matter how vulnerable and laid bare we feel.

Are you kidding me? Why would I want to do that???

I was reminded of 2 Cor.1:3-7:
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort. He comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any kind of affliction, through the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For as the sufferings of Christ overflow to us, so our comfort overflows through Christ. If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which is experienced in the endurance of the same sufferings that we suffer. And our hope for you is firm, because we know that as you share in the sufferings, so you will share in the comfort.”
Because maybe it’s only in the conversation with Him that I can open myself to receive comfort from Him.

I looked up the Greek here. Parakaleo. A Greek word meaning admonish, exhort; to beg, entreat, beseech; to console, to encourage and strengthen by consolation, to comfort; to encourage, strengthen; to instruct, teach. Even more fascinating was the root, kaleo. Kaleo had the idea of calling or inviting to one’s side in a loud voice. It seems being comforted by Him is a conversation that He doesn’t want us to miss out on! He invites us boldly and loudly to Himself.

Why?

I think the obvious answer is that He wants to. He said in John 16 that He would send a Comforter when He left this earth. He wants to bring a peace, a hope, a joy to our hearts whether our circumstances change or not.

Back to the House scenario one last time: Because he’s a doctor who makes no bones about his loathing of interacting with people, I think Dr. House knows that Cameron’s brokenness is of great value to him.

Jesus doesn't just want His comfort of our hearts to be the end. Another reason He doesn’t want us to miss out on this conversation is because those who have been comforted by God are useful to the kingdom of God.

So, are damaged goods valuable to the kingdom of God?

Oh, yes, Blythe Lane. Damaged goods that have been refurbished by Me are the only ones I use.

Damaged hearts that have been comforted by Him are of great value. He comforts us so that we in turn will comfort others.

So all this pondering has led me to 3 new questions…
  • Are there some areas in my life I’ve not allowed Him to expose my heart?
  • In the areas that have been exposed…have I stayed in the conversation long enough to really receive the comfort He longs to give?
  • Who in my path does He want me to comfort with the same comfort I’ve received from Him?

2 Comments:

Beloved Friend - this post reminded me why I love you so much. This was exactly what I needed to hear at exactly the time I needed it. And you are speaking a language that touches my heart directly. You have vision to see deep into Story and see Jesus. Thank you, Blythe. You are a beautiful, beautiful soul.

By Blogger Jill Pole, at January 12, 2006 7:28 PM  

Thanks, friend, for being one of my biggest cheerleaders. You know I'm one of yours.

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at January 12, 2006 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home