Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Spring Cleaning

Life has been busy as we finish up the semester. Unfortunately blogging has taken a back seat to being distracted by the details of life. It seems that all the mental and emotional distractions of late have pushed my Apathy button. Do you have one of those? One of those buttons that seems to get pressed when you feel inundated with all that is on your plate?

Today, however, it changed. Something in me felt the need to actually accomplish something. Despite the fact that I felt overwhelmed with where to begin with my surge of energy to do a little spring cleaning, I just jumped in. While I consider myself a neat/clean person, I am terrible at organizing, sorting, making decisions. I inherited a nasty gene from my father -- Packrat Syndrome.

In most people, PRS exhibits itself by definition as one who is a collector of miscellaneous useless objects. I am not a collector. Just a procrastinator. Bills, letters, and other things to be filed inevitably end up in a pile somewhere in the back office. The thought is always, “I’ll deal with it later when I have time.” According to the near constant state of that room, it would appear that time never finds me. As well, objects, once useful or esteemed, often end up in this room waiting for some sort of decision from me. Toss it? Give it? Sell it? Mostly objects end up here because I feel guilty about throwing something useful away (again, my father). Even though now I no longer have any use for it, I just can’t seem to talk myself into committing to its official demise. In fact, I’ve found over the last 4 years that my back room office is a very convenient graveyard for just about anything I’m willing to avoid.

So, for the entirety of my day, I’ve been cleaning, sorting, and throwing away. First, the garage. Then, the crypt in the back of the house. There’s still a ways to go but I’m just glad I jumped in. Instead of thinking about it all day and popping in the latest Smallville episode. Now, I can watch Smallville and feel like I have something to show for my Saturday.