Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

What's Your Dream?

Today I shared a dream. Not just any dream. And not just with any one(s).

Over the last year I’ve had a specific business dream that has mentally been gaining momentum as it tries to fixate on possible reality. It’s a dream that seems impossible for me alone to accomplish. I’m not a business woman. The very thought of me handling on the spot decisions (in the face of an array of many endless ones) is quite laughable. Not a good decision maker. People who’ve told me in the past that I have “administrative” gifts REALLY make me laugh. So not me.

And yet, every so often this business dream resurfaces and I give it some new dream-like touches and toy around with its future in actuality. Of course, what is reality for me very quickly takes over and I put it back in the box o’ dreams and go on with life as I know it.

Today, however, I found myself sharing my dream amongst a group of people in which one member has hurt me. As I listened to the ebb and flow of discussion around a certain dilemma up for discussion, I knew this little dream of mine could very possibly give this quandary a fresh and quite out of the box solution. So, tentatively, I offered a small piece of my dream. At first, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to risk putting it so out into the open, vulnerable to criticism and ridicule. And I certainly wasn’t sure if I wanted to share a very significant piece of a heart dream amongst such persons whose hurt still a little fresh. But something in me felt that I should offer it…like I was offering myself and my heart once again. As if I needed to offer “me” as a means to continue a healing process. And, it was indeed quite liberating to share me.

And then later on tonight, I found myself sharing this same dream with my dad. Just before we were getting ready to say our goodbyes, my dad said, “Thanks for sharing with me your dream.” That touched me. I don’t think I’ve ever really felt so validated in dreaming aloud before. Thanks Dad, for being a dreamer and teaching me how to dream. Thanks for contributing to and supporting my dreams…those realized and those not so much. I love you. May the Lord enable your deepest dream a shot in this life…

11 Comments:

Yay for dads who love their kids and love their kids' dreams. I'm a firm believer that dreams are the starting place for God's direction for us. What can you do to make it happen?

By Blogger Manda, at April 04, 2006 8:13 AM  

Thanks, Manda. I agree -- dads who encourage their kids' hearts are the best.

I'm not sure yet about how to "make" my dream happen or if I even should. I have a few possiblities I feel that I can check out to feel it out. We'll see. At this point, it was just enough to speak of it out in the open...for me, that's a first step toward taking a risk.

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at April 04, 2006 9:21 AM  

You are a brave, brave woman and one of my heros. I love you!

By Blogger Jill Pole, at April 04, 2006 10:43 AM  

I'm intrigued and incredibly curious about this mysterious dream you speak of. I resonate with you, as a fellow dreamer. What I need more than anything is people to see my dream, value it and say, 'great idea, let's see how we can make this happen'. I've got the dreams, I just have trouble taking action on my own accord (fear of failure, I'm sure). I think that is one thing Biblical community can offer-presence and support. I don't think most of our dreams are meant to be lived out in isolation. I'm glad you are sharing your dreams. Let people in so they can join you in it.

By Blogger Jenni, at April 04, 2006 11:34 AM  

Ditto. I'm majorly intrigued. It stirs the Snow Cone Lady in me...

By Blogger alethea, at April 04, 2006 2:05 PM  

Way to go, friend...I'm glad you shared...and I'm glad you shared that you shared with your online audience. It encourages me to share, not necessarily more of my dreams, but just more of my heart in general. Love you.

By Blogger Miss Haynie, at April 04, 2006 8:56 PM  

Would it be ok to say "I'm proud of you!" I know how difficult it can be to feel OUT THERE with your thoughts and feelings, and risking hurt. I tried to do some of that myself in my recent travels, particularly with some relatives at home. Wow-- you challenge me!

By Blogger martha, at April 05, 2006 11:00 AM  

I had fun today talking with you about our dreams. Your dreams are something I can get excited about to! You're definitely a visionary and I'd love to see it happen. Thanks for sharing.

By Blogger Susanne, at April 06, 2006 6:56 PM  

Dear Visionary,

Do you plan on sharing this "dream" with the rest of us anytime soon?

By Blogger The Bearded, at April 06, 2006 11:21 PM  

Nehemiah 2:1-5
1 In the month of Nisan in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was brought for him, I took the wine and gave it to the king. I had not been sad in his presence before; 2 so the king asked me, "Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart."
I was very much afraid, 3 but I said to the king, "May the king live forever! Why should my face not look sad when the city where my fathers are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?"
4 The king said to me, "What is it you want?"
Then I prayed to the God of heaven, 5 and I answered the king, "If it pleases the king and if your servant has found favor in his sight, let him send me to the city in Judah where my fathers are buried so that I can rebuild it."

Nehemiah had a dream. He allowed himself to BE GRIPPED by it. He presented it to God in prayer. He took a bold step. He prayed for strength and guidance when the door opened. He walked through the door of opportunity. Nehemiah is a great book. Perhaps your journey is still in CHAPTER 1. Nehemiah provides a wonderful blueprint for living out a dream. Check it out.

By Blogger Strand One, at April 14, 2006 1:24 PM  

Thanks Strand One. You're right, Nehemiah is a great book that gives a lot of insight into pursuing what the Lord leads us to do. Thanks for your encouragement.

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at April 14, 2006 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home