Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Working Girl?

Today I began in earnest working on my resume to begin the job hunt that will inevitably kickoff the next season of my life. Because I’ve been out of the “work world,” I begged the expertise of a friend of mine who is really good at this sort of thing. I mean, she actually likes this stuff!! So, we met at Starbucks this afternoon – me with Trusty Laptop and she with a DOORSTOP of materials intended to help me write, analyze and think through the kind of job I want to pursue.

We hammered at it for a couple of hours until we both hit a wall. Now, I’m home and curiously peeking at different resources trying to figure out how much of me I want to give to this pursuit. I mean, do I just want a paycheck or am I looking for career?

At this point, I can’t answer that question honestly. A part of me just wants the paycheck (a real one would be nice after 9 years of fundraising!). And yet, while I’ve never considered myself even remotely ambitious, there’s this part of me that wants to find that one job that I’m created for, you know? I really thrive on doing things that have purpose and meaning. But pursuing a career means…work. It means wading through this stack of materials analyzing EVERYTHING about what I like, don’t like, skills, etc.

In any case, I’m looking for a job. It’s been a long time since I’ve done that. I’m a little scared but mostly just overwhelmed as I stare at this stack of materials.

Maybe if I stare long enough my heat vision will incinerate it.

7 Comments:

Smallville much? :)

I tried the career thing and after almost burning out and then switching jobs, I am now happily merely collecting a paycheck and will never go back. However, it's different with everyone, but either way it's work. I hope you find something you like, which seems to be the key thing either way. Good luck to you on your job search.

By Blogger Eaglewing, at April 24, 2006 12:11 AM  

Smallville TOO much...HA! I'm so hooked I wouldn't be surprised if I started developing superpowers. Might be pretty convenient and make this whole post moot.

Thanks for sharing your own journey. Still not sure what mine should be...

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at April 24, 2006 9:05 AM  

Three plus one...

1) I'm an "animated creator" (the creator bit was right on).

2) Might a career move be an ever changing thing? or do you see yourself in a similar position for the next 10-20 years?

3) If you ever need advise on how to survive for 10 years with little more than a car load of belongings...I'm the man.

Lastly, thanks for the comment. It is VERY good to be done with my proposal.

By Blogger The Bearded, at April 24, 2006 11:56 PM  

1) "Animated Creator"--what does it mean?
2) Don't know about the "career" thing...just not an ambititous person really or someone you'd say is career driven.
3) Well, I don't know if I want to get down to a car load of belongings... :-) Impressive.

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at April 25, 2006 9:08 AM  

You're getting all kinds of comments from me tonight.

I think this may link you...

http://www.personaldna.com/report.php?k=rwnKvvwprZMCwWl-HK-DDDAD-6de9&u=884f41e0c89b

...let me know.

By Blogger The Bearded, at April 26, 2006 10:31 PM  

Fun. So, the "Creator" part really describes you? You don't, by any chance want to help me start up a coffee house? :-) Sounds like you're "go for it" type of person...

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at April 27, 2006 8:41 AM  

Ask God to tell you what you should do. I did that six years ago and the answer He hollered was such a blessing I cry just thinking about someone PAYING ME to do it. It's easy. It's me. It's SPORTS.

ROMANS 12:2
...be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

We rarely think that His will is going to please US. He truly does want to present us with JOY. You won't be able to resist yelling "God is GOOD!!".

Ask Our Heavenly Father what you should do next. And ask for COURGAE to follow through because it's quite likely that you won't believe what He shows you. heh heh He's funny like that.

peace, Strand One

By Blogger Strand One, at May 04, 2006 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home