Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A New Favorite Thing


I’m kind of a woman of a few passions. My “Favorite Things” nav bar is a reflection of a few things in life that I really can’t live without. I hope that every once in awhile you check them out! I love sharing my favorite things with others in the hopes that they too will find them irresistible.

As of last night, I discovered that I had a new addition to this select group – spending time in the kitchen with an intimate group of friends, laughing, talking, trying a new recipe replete in its simplicity and full of flavor. Ina Garten, also known as the Barefoot Contessa, has grown through a number of her dishes to epitomize this passion best for me. My friend, Jill and I, over the last couple of years have enjoyed trying a few dishes that have always surprised me by the simplicity of the ingredients and yet they are so full of flavor and beauty. Even more than the recipes themselves, Garten’s dishes lend themselves to an atmosphere that you can enjoy community within the kitchen as well as the table because she eliminates the chaos that so many other recipes create in going for the gourmet.

So, last night, in celebration of one friend’s birthday, two friends joined me in the kitchen to try our hand at Garten’s Real Spaghetti and Meatballs. I know that it may not seem an altogether exotic choice, but of all the dishes I’ve explored, I had never made meatballs before. What intrigued me from the recipe was that the meatballs themselves consisted of ground beef, ground pork and ground veal. And among the spices in the meatballs – nutmeg. And the sauce…simple with crushed tomatoes, a few spices, and about a half a cup of Chianti. Neither a connoisseur nor a sommelier of any sort of wine, I was so impressed by the Chianti’s flavor, I think I might just have to become one!

In any case, can I just say these were just the most amazing meatballs I’ve ever tasted? More than that, the fellowship was incredible. It was one of those evenings where dinner lasts several hours and you enjoy lingering over the meal and the conversation. So, if you enjoy incredible food that lends itself to intimate fellowship, I highly recommend the Barefoot Contessa for your next dinner party.