Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Now I know why Oscar the Grouch was one...


Did you ever wonder why Oscar the Grouch was always soooo grouchy? Today, I finally know why. His love of trash ate away at his soul! HA! After spending the majority of the day cleaning, sorting, and tossing again, I find myself asking:

How is it possible that any one human being could have accumulated so much stuff???

It’s not only shocking…it’s obscene really. Granted, I’ve lived by myself for 7 years and in those 7 years I’ve only moved twice. So, nothing forces me to face the lingering stuff that seems to hide itself in places I never knew I had. But still.

While it’s a great feeling to get rid of stuff, I found myself kind of angry with myself. After stuffing trash bag number 5 with another t-shirt hardly ever worn, I couldn’t help but wonder what void I’ve tried to fill in my life with stuff…stuff that just sits out of sight and never really ever fulfills any function in my world. I guess at some point I really believed it would. Stuff I thought I needed and instead it just collects dust or uses up precious space. But, now it just all feels like a boulder attached to my soul.

So, I’m tossing it out into the internet void – I don’t want to live life out of the trash can. I want a simpler life. Free of excessive stuff.

3 Comments:

I know exactly what you mean about "stuff." You can find kindred spirits and some really good help at flylady.net if you are interested in some expert direction on flinging that stuff and having fun in the process!

By Blogger Sandie, at April 25, 2006 3:10 AM  

HI, Gal, glad to finally get a bit caught up on your life, thru your blog. Whew! sorry i've been 'away' for awhile. i admire your diving into all the STUFF- something i will have to do in earnest before too long when i move later this year. (ugh!). big hugs

By Blogger martha, at April 30, 2006 11:14 AM  

Good perspective Bly. God loves simplicity. Some say simplicity is a spiritual discipline.

By Blogger Strand One, at May 04, 2006 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home