Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Scenes from an Airport


Okay, so this trip to Florida wasn’t quite as eventful as the one a month ago although this one did put me in just shy of 1am this morning. However, during my brief layover in DFW I dropped in to my local airport Starbucks in Terminal D for a Grande Non-fat Decaf Caramel Macchiato. I was just one in a long line of many last night who were trying to get their favorite drink to accompany them to their final destination.

Because the line was so long, one of the baristas started collecting orders. While I’m a huge Starbucks fan, I did find it quite amusing to listen to the different kinds of orders and was impressed with the barista’s ability to keep up. Remembering orders like “Venti Decaf Toffe Nut Latte Extra Hot No Whip” is no small feat! After several of these orders, I began to giggle a little out loud at the craziness of those of us enslaved to the Starbucks vernacular. One order in particular set the entire customer line as well as the baristas to chuckling. Apparently late night traveling and the recognition that we all have some serious Starbucks addictions was not lost on us. While the moment was brief, it brought a smile to my face and gave me a little extra energy after a long and emotionally draining week.

3 Comments:

How true.
I hope you're enjoying the time with your family. Hopefully we can talk and catch up before I fly out!

By Blogger Susanne, at May 14, 2006 6:06 PM  

hope you've found this time relaxing... as a former barista, i know my venti from my americano, but as an outcast-Scandinavian, I cannot identify with the need for coffee at all. I hope when you get that coffee shop up and going you don't forget those of us on the fringe of society... those who drink the occasional cup of tea or venti non-fat no whip hot chocolate. (but please don't make the non-coffee drinker baristas try out the coffee... it all tastes bad! I can't tell the difference between really bad with a hint of cinnamon and really really bad with a hint of burnt toast) :) Have a great day, friend. Blessings on your new phases of life.

By Blogger Manda, at May 16, 2006 9:16 PM  

I miss you!!!!!!

By Blogger Jill Pole, at May 18, 2006 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home