Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Battle for My Living Room

This article was in my inbox today and I found it interesting. It’s following the recent trends in the drop of moviegoers and the attempts being made by movie theatres to lure customers back in. As a former film major, I must admit that there is something that I really love about going to the movies. It’s why I pursued a degree in it. But with the rising ticket prices and even slimier theatre environments (who hasn’t spent the significant part of two hours wondering what the heck that sticky mess is beneath their shoes? *Gag reflex*), their attempts to capture my pocketbook as well as my comfort might be a losing battle.

In my little corner, movie tickets go for over $8 a pop (significantly lower I know than in other parts of the country) which forces me to be really picky about what movie deserves my hard earned money. Probably even more than the money, watching a movie from the convenience and comfort of my own home these days is worth waiting for a movie to come out on DVD. It’s worth it to me to be able to have comfortable seating and/or enjoy foods/drinks that I like and don’t have to pay through the nose for! (Or sneak them in, but you didn’t hear it from me.)

2 Comments:

Couldn't agree more. In the last 6 months, I have been to the theatre a grand total of one time, and I love watching movies. It's just gotten to the point that I'd even rather watch a DVD on my 17" computer monitor where I have control of environment, volume, and the concession stand than endure a bad theatre experience. And at $10 a ticket (double if you want popcorn), its not very cost effective when that amount would get me several rentals.

Having said that, there are flicks coming to the megaplex that I want to see on the big screen - MI:3, Psoidon, X3, Superman Returns, Pirates 2, & Miami Vice. Good thing I saved my money over the last half year :) Still, except for X3, I'll be waiting a week or two to go see them in hopes of having the joy of a half empty theatre. I have only ever gone to opening night once - for Sin City - and I loved the film, but hated the experience...

As for the article, it makes some good points. However, the theatres shouldn't be trying to offer more auxillary stuff, they should concentrate on why people go - for the Movies. Start with a good flick for a change, cut out the 30 minutes of commercials and trailers, post the actual movie start time, and stop gouging us ten bucks for popcorn & drinks that only cost them 99 cents. It'd be a start that might get me back to the theatre - just my two cents worth...end rant - Sorry for the long post :)

By Blogger Eaglewing, at May 02, 2006 9:17 PM  

I wholeheartedly concur.

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at May 03, 2006 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home