Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Netflix Nuances: A Rant

So, today as I was putting my most recent two Smallville discs in the packet to send back to Netflix, I noticed something disturbing about the mailing address:

Nearest Netflix Shipping Facility
PO Box Yada Yada Yada
To a city OVER A THOUSAND MILES AWAY

Thinking there was some sort of mistake, I pulled out the other Netflix return envelopes that I’ve collected. Each one of them addressed to the City just north of me, a mere 20 MILES AWAY.

Okay, so maybe you’re thinking it’s some sort of weird mistake. Lest you wonder at my sanity, I will let you in on a few nefarious Netflix dealings arousing said suspicions…

Recently my Netflix queue has been feeding my latest Smallville fetish. It’s a no-brainer that my queue is set up to receive the subsequent disc in the series in the order to be watched. Netflix emails you when they receive discs back and then send another email telling you the next disc to be sent and when it is arriving.

On Monday of this past week, my most recent communication from Netflix looked like this:

We’ve received Smallville: Season 4: Disc 2
We’ve received Smallville: Season 4: Disc 3
For Wednesday, Smallville: Season 4: Disc 5
For Friday, Smallville: Season 4: Disc 4

Hmm. Shouldn’t Disc 4 come before Disc 5??? It’s in my queue that way. Sure enough, on Wednesday I received Smallville: Season 4: Disc 5. And on Saturday (yes folks, not Friday), I received Disc 4.

So, after finally getting to watch Disc 4 and 5, I start to send them back and realize they’ve given me an envelope sending discs to a shipping facility over a thousand miles away.

Mere coincidence?

I think not.

All I have to say to Netflix is:

Don’t underestimate the power of the blog and one fiesty blonde, my friends.

Turkeys.

4 Comments:

I am not surprised. The geographic background of my students at the beginning of the semester is often mind-boggling. Hopefully, when they step into those future positions at Netflix they will know better.

By Blogger The Bearded, at May 01, 2006 5:28 PM  

Ahhhh, those turkeys at Netflix. Bless their pointed little heads. I've had Disks 1 & 2 of "The Sentinel" coming for several days. Get here already! :-)

(I know, "The Sentinel" is a weird choice. What can I say? I'm a sucker for nerdy anthropologists/archeologists... "Stargate's" Daniel Jackson and Blair Sandberg from "The Sentinel"...There is just something about smart guys.)

By Blogger Jill Pole, at May 02, 2006 12:04 AM  

Ah yes, Netflix. There are rants all over the Web about how they are slipping down the icy slope of bad customer service. Lucky for me, I have a Blockbuster outside my front door, so I don't have to do the envelope shuffle...

And Jill - nothing wrong with The Sentinel for a viewing choice. That was a half decent show from what I recall of the episodes I caught on it's original go round. It'd be cool to have enhanced senses like that, but I don't want to spend that long alone in a jungle :)

By Blogger Eaglewing, at May 02, 2006 1:42 AM  

It's not that I can't go to Blockbuster or Hastings or Hollywood Video...I just like the idea of being able to watch my movies and tv shows for less than I'd pay at one of my local places. Of course, for this to work, Netflix needs to cooperate and send things in a timely fashion. Plus the fact that when you're addicted to some new show you want to get them as soon as possible!

Of course, this partly reflects my impatience as much as they're trying to control how frequent discs get sent out. I just didn't realize they'd send you envelopes that send your discs to the nearest shipping facility in China in order to do it...

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at May 02, 2006 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home