Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Curling: Some Olympic Commentary


Was reading some other friends posts about the Olympics and felt the need to get in on the conversation – especially after I had myself earlier this morning been flipping through the channels (never anything really exciting to be found on Saturday mornings) and landed on CNBC which was following a curling match between the U.S. and Germany. I was excited to stumble upon it because right before the Olympics kicked off, I remember Katie Couric doing an interview with the U.S. Curling team and I wanted to try and catch some of the event during the Olympics. I’ve always been a little intrigued by it. I remember it being a topic of major conversation when they added it to the winter tier of the Olympics because its fans were excited that it was finally being recognized for the sport it is.

So, I watched it for some time this morning and am a little confused. What about it is sport-ish? Granted, it looked like there was some strategy to it. But, I’m left feeling a little bit gypped on the athletic prowess element. I mean, isn’t that what the Olympics are about? Whether a team or individual event, isn’t the Olympics kind of the granddaddy of supreme amateur athleticism?

While I was engrossed in trying to understand curling (I am, if nothing, a gal who desires a well-rounded athletic awareness), a commentator lauded the fact that the best thing about this “sport” (yes, I’ve got to go with the air quotes here – still unconvinced of its sport-worth) was the fact that you could actually get into the curlers' heads. (Out loud giggle here – do you think that’s what they’re called?...Okay, so full on laugh out loud here! I’m even too ridiculous for myself.) What other "sport" lets you do that, he asked. He said that wouldn’t it be great if we could hear the strategy of our favorite football team up close and personal like that…or hear what is actually going on in their heads. At first thought, it sounds kind of cool, but on second thought, I’m a pretty good lip reader and I’ve seen blips of what comes out of my favorite team players/coaches mouths at certain critical times. Pretty confident that the whole thing would be ruined for me if I really knew what they were thinking…

Okay, so this post is ending up being more of a fizzled ramble than a stand up rant.

Did I tell you it is SNOWING here?

9 Comments:

Blythe, I sure do love reading your thoughts on all sort of things in life. It is refreshing, amusing, inspiriing and beautiful to see how God is allowing you to use your gifts of expression in writing for the world to see on this blog. On curling, I've always been inspired by the fact that it could be the one Olympic sport that I could start 'training' for now and participate in. I guess that thought in itself reflects how 'non-athletic' this 'sport' might be.

By Blogger Jenni, at February 18, 2006 12:05 PM  

Curling is something of a Canadian tradition, but even I don't really understand it. To me, it's like a game of crokinole on ice...

I don't think I'd really want to know players/coaches game time thoughts either. Like you said, the lip reading is enough. Just imagine being in Mike Tyson's head during a boxing match. Yikes. On second thought, I'd really like to have been inside that US snowboarding gal's head on that last jump before the wipeout.

The snowboarding events have really caught my eye this Olympic year for excitement value, while the skeleton comepetitions are wild for the sheer craziness factor. You'd have to be flat out nuts to do that...

By Blogger Eaglewing, at February 18, 2006 3:47 PM  

Joy, thanks for your words. After a month of venturing out into this blogging world I'm discovering that there's kind of a community of sorts here. With everyone's kind and encouraging comments, I feel like I've been warmly welcomed into an established community. Thanks for dropping by and I'll drop in on you as well!

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at February 18, 2006 4:17 PM  

Uh, Eaglewing...croki-what??? lol

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at February 18, 2006 4:20 PM  

haha - "croki-what???" should'a seen that one coming. :) Forgot it's not exactly a widely known game. Has a bit of history in my neck of the woods, and I've got fond memories of playing it at my Grandparents place when I was a kid.

Here's a link to more info:
http://www.crokinole.com/faq.asp

It's played on a wood octagon shaped board where you try to 'shoot' your discs into the centre hole or knock your opponents discs off the board. Points are awarded depending on how close to centre the disc is. Only one team can have points at any given time.

It's a fun game when you have a few people gathered around. Shooting the discs with your fingers is probably the hardest part, though using sticks is preferred by some. There's some strategy, but accuracy is more important. Everybody develops their own technique.

Ah, good memories, good times :)

By Blogger Eaglewing, at February 19, 2006 4:00 AM  

Yep - I don't understand curling either and I even watched a movie about it once. "Men with Brooms," starring Paul Gross. I used to love him on "Due South," so I decided to check out the movie. Yeah, still don't get curling. It sorta seems like shuffleboard on ice.

P.S. - Blythe, I love it when you bring the funny... :-)

By Blogger Jill Pole, at February 19, 2006 6:53 AM  

Aaaahhh..."Men with Brooms." That makes sense. Always thought that movie was about men who had a quirky fascination with "Bewitched." Gotta add that to the Netflix queue.

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at February 19, 2006 12:13 PM  

Yes, definately see Men With Brooms. A good flick - nothing mind blowing or anything, but a good flick. Funny too. Plus, it was made in Canada by Canadians featuring Paul Gross, so it's kind of like my national duty to recommend it :)

By Blogger Eaglewing, at February 19, 2006 2:47 PM  

Okay, so Men With Brooms has made it into the Netflix queue. I think I have it set to come after I get through Firefly. Also, surprisingly found Due South available in Netflix! Added it too. I totally forgot about DS. Thanks for the reminder you guys.

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at February 19, 2006 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home