Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

An Update...

On the recent trip to Florida
It was a Mother’s Day weekend extravaganza. I flew in (as did my youngest sister and her husband) to meet up with the entire fam. We spent the majority of our time entranced by the newest, cutest, and most entertaining member of the family. As well, some of the fam finally took a day to check out some of the Walt Disney fare. Of course, as is custom with our family, we happened to choose the day it would rain! Our fun was not to be deterred, however. We simply bought Mickey Mouse ponchos and enjoyed Magic Kingdom and Epcot in the rain. It was actually a very pleasant experience as only 17,000 people were spread out this particular day between the 4 parks.

On air travel adventures
I mentioned in the previous post that my trip to Florida was very uneventful. Not so, for the return trip. The flight from Ft. Lauderdale left me and over 200 other persons sitting on the plane for nearly an hour. Evidently some loony decided to pose as a U.S. Marshall. So, the airline had to sift through all the luggage to get the imposter’s luggage off the plane. Curious to me was how this creep got as far as boarding the plane…

As you would expect, the delay caused many to miss their connecting flights in Dallas. As if the previous event wasn’t exciting enough, one couple got cocky and actually started making a beeline toward the front of the plane just as the plane touched down. The flight attendant told them to sit back down but the man told the woman off with a, “I don’t really care. We’re going to miss our flight to Canada.” Yeah, I thought, and now, thanks to you, we all are too! People.

After that drama, I ran as fast as possible through DFW to catch my connecting flight. They had just started boarding First Class as I made my way to the gate. I was glad to get settled on the plane knowing that within the next hour I’d be in my car heading home. However, as I sat down in my seat I discovered to my complete surprise that I was sitting in a pool of someone else’s…well, I don’t know what it was but I was just praying that someone had spilled a drink versus the other option. Informing the flight attendant, she said that it was full flight and I could either sit on some blankets or if there was a free seat, she would exchange out the seat cushion from that seat to the one I was in. Hmm. If there’s a free seat, don’t you think it would just be easier for me to move to that seat??? People. Thankfully the seat in front of me was free and I moved myself into that one.

On the jungle of weeds that is my yard
The most depressing thing about returning home was coming home to my own little private jungle. My lawn mower decided to check out on me the day I left for Florida. Needless to say the lawn did not get mowed before I left town nor was I successful in finding anyone for hire. Until today. Today Blythe met Troy. Troy Bilt. And, boy is Blythe happy. And so is her lawn.