Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Monday, June 12, 2006

New Blog Sidebar Additions

Okay, for someone who swore never to mess with her blog template (after nearly losing it all by trying to delete some other pesky addition she added and then regretted), you'll notice that I've been slowly adding a few new things.

The first, obviously, is Pandora. This was previously recommended through my friend Jill and I am thoroughly enjoying it. The concept is simple and innovative. A group of musicians and technologists got together and decided that grouping music into a genre just doesn't work. They believe that all music has a gene...and they've done the work in classifying thousands of musicians. If you're curious, you can read more about this endeavor. Pandora, then, is a culmination of this five year study where we can enjoy their hard work. You type in an artist or a song you love and they'll design a station with your listening tastes in mind and recommend new artists. If you haven't already, I highly recommend giving it a try. I personally enjoy hearing new artists and songs that fit into the variety of sounds that I already enjoy. Already I've shared it with a number of my friends and they are now happily enjoying broadening their music horizons.

The other addition is LibraryThing that I saw over on Rick's blog. The idea is similar to Delicious Library...and not. The Delicious concept is just enough to make me think I should have listened to my sister and bro-in-law who live, breath and die Mac. Oh, well. Laptop and I are doing just fine otherwise...

The Amazon.com addition came when I decided to add LibraryThing. When you type in your books it links to Amazon and allows me a small cash return when anybody clicks on an item I list through my blog and and actually purchases it. So, feel free to do all your Father's Day gift giving right here, folks. Just kidding. There's never any pressure here...other than to drink coffee. I make no apologies for pushing the coffee drinking experience on anyone.

5 Comments:

At Pandora they actually break down each song, one at a time by a team of professional musicians, into several hundred identifiable "genes" one song at a time. They don't group music together. They treat each song on it's own. And then the Music Genome powers Pandora, I.E. the radio station.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 14, 2006 3:19 AM  

Exactly.

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at June 14, 2006 8:14 AM  

Hey Jess...Erin Anderson here...Love the blog. Hope you don't mind Melody gave me the address.

By Blogger Seasonal Learner, at June 15, 2006 1:33 PM  

Erin A! Fancy you steppin' into my little corner. :-) I hear you're moving back to the hometown. I'm actually moving there too in a couple of weeks! Hope you guys are doing well!

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at June 15, 2006 2:44 PM  

Carolina Girl,
Thanks for the comments. Sure glad you dropped in no matter what way. :-) West Wing fan, huh? I haven't watched it in the current seasons but have been catching up via DVD. Unfortunately I loaned out the last 2 discs of season 2 to a friend's fiance and am stuck in the middle of season 2. Grrr...argh.

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at June 15, 2006 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home