Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Memorable Moving Sale Moments

While it was quite an overwhelming weekend of work and letting go of the stuff that has defined my life, there was much to be enjoyed during my recent garage sale. Let me see if I can accurately recount the enjoyment I chose to take out of the last few days…

My friend Andrea’s fiancé, Phil. The first thing you have to know about Phil is that he is quite charismatic: he could sell wind the national government and pass it off as some sort of crucial new weaponry. Recently I shared Pandora with him. For the last three days he did nothing but sit with his laptop creating new radio stations. He currently has 24 music stations. During our garage sale, he sat our table and would tell those perusing our wares that he actually had encountered something that was going to change their lives. He was quite entertaining.

My neighbors who suddenly came out in droves to poke through my stuff. All of them told me they were sorry to hear that I was moving (funny to me, because I never told any of them) and that they were sad to lose such a good neighbor…also weird, because I rarely see anyone out and about in my neighborhood and I wasn’t quite sure how I counted as “good.” Probably because I don’t throw large parties in my front yard and play loud music at all hours of the night…

A little four-year old boy who told us about his mother’s love life. “My mom isn’t married to my dad and she made him move out.” Yikes! As his mom with much embarrassment told him to shush, I realized, it’s not that kids necessarily say the darnedest things as much as they say the honest things, no?

Alex, a most beloved student (recently graduated) who stopped by to say goodbye. He, Andrea, Phil and I had a great time sitting out in the garage telling entertaining stories and watching hilarious videos of comedians online. Most of our customers were highly amused with us…so much that we started saying we'd charge them if they laughed at us. “Nothing’s free at this sale people! You laugh, you pay!” It was great to laugh together.

Despite all the hard work, it was fun and I’m glad that I was able to do it with people. Doing life in any manner with others really enables me to face the hard stuff in life, you know?

Ah, fun times.

2 Comments:

Hey your story made my whole day... can I send you, Andrea and Phil some Pandora T-Shirts? We'd love to say thanks for, um, spreading the word. Drop me an emai (tomconrad-at-gmail-dot-com) with an address and shirt sizes and I'll make sure you get some.

Tom
CTO @ Pandora

By Blogger Tom Conrad, at June 05, 2006 7:28 PM  

Tom,
Wow. Thanks for stopping by! I heard about it from my friend Jill at livinginshadow.blogspot.com. We love it. It really changes how you listen to music. Thanks for all the hard work. We'd definitely wear our shirts with pride! :-)

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at June 05, 2006 11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home