Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Blogdom: Creating Significant Community?

There seems to be a developing conversation stemming from recent posts and comments on various blogs I’m reading surrounding questions of our motivations in our blogging, blog “stalking” (voraciously reading other people’s blogs either anonymously or known), or blog blogging (writing significant comments on one another’s blogs or discovering new realizations in your comment that might otherwise been a blog post on your own blog). Okay, I’m getting the feeling that I’m on the cusp of developing the first ever Blog language…

ANYway, the question has been raised, are we (the women who are living out previous said paragraph) using this as a replacement for something lacking in our lives…whether that be a spouse, or community, or a venue for processing and being heard.

The question of my own recent attraction to this new world of blogging has been stirring in my own head and heart for over a month now. What is it that I’m finding within the html code that I’m not finding in my own current life? Is it just a mere lack of the social life that plagues nearly every single woman in ministry? (“All work and no play sure make Blythe a dull girl”?) Is it a means of escape from an otherwise uneventful life? Is it a lack of really feeling heard well by people and knowing that my thoughts have value?

I guess my most recent thought is, what if it’s not about what’s lacking in our lives? What if it’s about finding something? Maybe even more like stumbling on some new treasure that we never knew existed – a treasure of sort being found in other people’s lives and perspectives that enlarge our own in some way. It kind of makes me feel like I’m not as alone and disconnected….that maybe my heart, my life and my thoughts are of great value and theirs to my own.

Awhile back I watched the new movie Shall We Dance? There’s a part in the movie where Susan Sarandon’s character is explaining to the detective she’s hired about what marriage is:

People get married because we need a witness to our lives. There’s a billion people on the planet. What does any one life really mean? But in a marriage you’re promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things. All of it. Every time. Everyday. You’re saying, “Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go unwitnessed because I will be your witness.” (Susan Sarandon, Shall We Dance)
I think this statement less describes marriage as it does a fundamental desire of the human heart…to be known deeply and to know that your life amounts to something. Even deeper than that desire is that I think we want someone to catch it! We want to be seen. We don’t want other people to miss out on what we bring and offer to the world. Of course, as women maybe this may be just the deep question we’ll always be wrestling with, you know? (For more thoughts on this, check out Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge.)

I think my blogging, blog hopping, blog stalking, blog blogging (oh good grief!) all kind of reveal that my heart wants to be heard and seen. I want to know that my thoughts, my heart has value and at the same time they resonate with someone else or cause them to think in new ways. So, for me right now, it’s not about replacing as it is discovering. And I’m loving every minute of it.

7 Comments:

You know, sometimes I think that blogs are the front porches of today. In the past thirty or forty years, we lost the front porch. With the widespread development of air-conditioning (as well as other things) people moved inside and developers stopped building front porches that people could hang out on, walk by and stop and chat, sit together and sing, play checkers, read, listen to the radio -- whatever. We lost that place to gather as a neighborhood and the office water cooler is not an adequite replacement! Anyway - maybe my blog is my front porch. People join me on it and chat about the deep and the trivial. Maybe? We need that place, even if it is virtual.

By Blogger Jill Pole, at February 22, 2006 4:47 PM  

Yea! Thanks for putting words to and naming something that I sensed, but couldn't quite put the right words to. I'm loving this to and really am thanking God for this picture of community. It seriously is meeting a need and allowing me to keep pursuing God and others. I'm so thankful, even teary thinking about it.

By Blogger Jenni, at February 22, 2006 5:25 PM  

First, I would like to say I love blog blogging. :) It cracks me up and I love it when people do it. I'm going to do it now...

Second, I think the reason I love the blog is because it's like having a five-way call or something, and people can catch up on the conversation at hand when their time allows.

Third, maybe we are better listeners in this virtual world. We hear everyone's full thought because we can't interject our own thought in the middle or interupt and spur a tangent. We just hear a persons whole thought and then respond.
I haven't thought about this long but these are my first thoughts on why I may love it.

By Blogger Heather, at February 22, 2006 5:58 PM  

You're definitely onto something here. I think it's interesting how these root desires in our hearts manifest in blogging!Great insight.

By Blogger Susanne, at February 22, 2006 10:09 PM  

My heart resonates with all these insights! Jill, I love the "front porch" idea -- hadn't thought of it that way before. Joy, I'm also quite grateful for stumbling onto community and recognizing my need and enjoying what I learn from everyone of you (even all the others who peek in and post comments!) Correnta, "a five-way call" for sure!! And I agree, I think this scene enables us to learn to express and listen as well. I think we do tend to hear the entire thought process better. And Sus!!! Love that you just popped in as I am writing this! I love that you and I get the "in person" blog tomorrow at our new favorite coffee shop! Love to all...and let's keep blogging our little hearts out!!

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at February 22, 2006 10:11 PM  

Ah, Sista Lousia! So glad you've joined us!!

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at February 22, 2006 11:39 PM  

- thong tin giá xe toyota fortuner 2017 nhap khau
- tin tuc gia xe tai dongben uu dai nhat tai ha noi
- thieu gia xe mitsubishi attrage 2017 phien ban hoan toan moi

By Blogger Unknown, at April 10, 2017 2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home