Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Stir Crazy

While I’ve enjoyed the inclement weather immensely, this morning I started to get a little antsy. All that snow and sleet I mentioned previously forced me to stay inside for the entirety of the weekend. Literally. The other night after coming back home, the ice had become so bad (and the traction on my tires is completely worn) that I couldn’t get my car back up the drive into my garage! So, for the last two days my car has sat forlornly in the street outside my house.

Determined to emerge from my cave today and head for my heaven on earth (a.k.a. my newest coffee house find), I set about the overwhelming task of trying to move my car.

Tires spun. Interesting smells wafted. Menacing sounds threatened.

After several minutes of switching between drive, reverse, neutral and trying trick my tires into finding some patch of dry concrete to adhere to, I finally got my car to leave her temporary curbside habitat. Of course, none of this went unnoticed by the guy 2 houses down who had let his dog out and was watching with some amusement. (Single woman side rant: was there some sign on my forehead that said, “No, really. I’m the female Jeff Gordon. Got it all under control. Thanks anyway.” Sometimes a little help is all a gal’s asking for. Sigh.)

Currently, I’ve left all of my cares behind as I enjoy some good coffee house time. Ella’s crooning over the speakers; I’m typing away surrounded by a plethora of books on a variety of subjects; and I’m watching people pass by through the big picture window looking out on my little town's Main Street. The view’s exactly like the one in You’ve Got Mail when Meg Ryan’s sitting at the window in Starbucks reading Pride and Prejudice. Very charming. If you’re ever in my little corner, we’ll pay a visit.

2 Comments:

I really, really, want to reply to that single woman side rant with a single guy side rant, but discretion is the better part of valor (or so I've heard). Not that it's easy. Must...walk...away...from...keyboard...now....

"Interesting smells wafted"...ah yes, nothing like the smell of burning rubber in the morning :)

By Blogger Eaglewing, at February 21, 2006 4:20 AM  

Well, it is my blog and I'll rant if I want to! :-) Yeah, probably better to keep all hands and feet safely tucked inside the vehichle when driving through Single Woman Rantland.

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at February 21, 2006 8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home