Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

"If you're adding to the noise..."

Switchfoot has a song that I find particularly enlightening about “the stuff” of life competing for our attention. The chorus goes something like:

If we're adding to the noise
turn off this song
If we're adding to the noise
turn off your stereo, radio, video

Last night as I was driving home after spending a great week with Jill and then catching some much needed reflective time with M.K. on my way home, I felt a huge craving for quiet. Normally on long car drives (especially the late night ones since I’m NOT a late night person!), anything I can do to distract myself with music, coffee, etc. the better. But last night as I was tempted to just put on the tunes and coast home, the chorus of this song kept going through my head. I realized very quickly that my heart was telling me to take this opportunity to pursue the quiet.

Plunging the internal depths of my heart, I used the time to think back on some of the conversations that I had either engaged in or listened to from the week. Thank you Jill, Alethea, M.K., Correnta, Sarah B., the Birthday Group for offering your ears and your hearts. As my heart listened in again, I found myself praying through those scenes and asking the Lord what it might be that He wants to pose to my heart. I was surprised by the new questions that found their way to the surface.

The reflective time in the car was deeply refreshing. And today I’m wondering how much of my heart I crowd out of my attention due to a high concentration of background noise? In living alone I admit that I often find myself turning the TV on to just have “noise” – there are a number of times it’s just on while I’m doing something else, mostly just providing some sort of replacement. Replacement for what, I’m not really sure. Sometimes I like the noise because it makes me feel less alone…like someone is in the house with me. Other times, I think it’s just on because it’s filler noise while I’m doing something particularly mundane. (Uh, for instance it’s on now while I’m typing this blog!)

In any case, I find myself wondering today:
How often have I missed questions or thoughts my heart is really embracing (or needs to embrace) because of noise…external and/or internal?
Have I missed something the Spirit is trying to tell me because I’ve fallen into a habit of allowing noise to steal my attention away?

6 Comments:

It has been wonderful to share a couple of face to face encounters with you this past week. The topic of your blog poses questions I continue to wrestle with too. Great reflections, Blythe. Keep writing. And keep visiting Mankan.

By Blogger alethea, at March 25, 2006 9:19 PM  

Yes. I believe I do the same thing. Sometimes it isn't actual "noise," but just destraction for my brain with something other than real life. How often do I ignore my heart or the quiet urging of God and drown it out with TV or a book or the computer? Much more often than I'd like to admit.

By Blogger Jill Pole, at March 26, 2006 7:08 AM  

Ditto to the other comments. Blythe, you need to have a column or something. You're really good at this.

By Blogger Miss Haynie, at March 26, 2006 1:25 PM  

Kat,
Thanks for your kind and encouraging words. I'm enjoying stepping back into some sort of groove of writing. It's been very cathartic. I'm not sure about a column, etc. Don't know what that would look like...maybe my blog is my "column"???

By Blogger Blythe Lane, at March 26, 2006 2:11 PM  

Well your blog is your column, but more people need to hear what you have to say. That's what I mean about the column thing (I don't know, newspaper or something, Discipleship Journal, Christianity Today...surely places like that are looking for good writers and you can do that from anywhere, right??). And what would you write about? The stuff you're writing about right now! You're blogs are really thought provoking!

By Blogger Miss Haynie, at March 26, 2006 10:14 PM  

- Descargar anuncios tonos para celular gratis, descargar tonos de llamada gratis anuncios
- download F With U – Kid Ink ft. Ty Dolla $ign ringtone: http://ringtonedownloads.mobi/f-u-kid-ink-ft-ty-dolla-ign-ringtone/ free for mobile

By Blogger Unknown, at April 09, 2017 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home