Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Over the last several months this has become a space where I have been able to sit down on this journey, pour a cup of coffee and sort through the pieces of my heart. As well, it has caused me to remember the value and place of laughter in my life as much as my need to communicate. And, it has become a place of community and rest during a time when my soul has been most desperate for it. Welcome to my little corner of the world. Read on and offer your own thoughts if you like.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Friday Night Date and a Movie

Well, if you really believe that would I be writing this blog???

Actually, in my little corner of the world "date nights" are usually me, a movie and some great Thai food. (Really it's just more that I've been craving Thai food all week and in some vein of justification I call it Date Night. Which I had thought was kind of a fun idea until I ran into 2 of our dating couples at the Thai restaurant I ordered take out from. All of a sudden my fun justification felt kind of lame. Oh, well. (Gee, thanks for the empathetic sniff-sniffs.)

Regardless, tonight, did not disappoint. I finally got around to watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The version made back in the 70s was a favorite of mine as a child despite the fact that it never seemed to quite depict the quirkiness of the book. Leave it to Tim Burton to deliver on that! And Johnny Depp really was the perfect Willy Wonka. Much better portrayal than Gene Wilder's kind of arrogant, unfeeling version. And, while I did miss hearing "I've Got a Golden Ticket," the Ooompa Loompa song sung to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody was priceless!

But the best part of the night might have actually been the fortune in the fortune cookie: "A good memory is one trained to forget the trivial." For years I always thought that it was "a good memory is one trained to remember the trivial." Hmm...dating in my little corner of the world can be a definite growth experience.

1 Comments:

You know, sometimes it's Friday about 2:00 PM and I am so excited that I can go directly home when I get off work, get into my pajamas, make some hot chocolate and sit on the couch and watch movies or read all evening! (Although the Thai food sounds like a great addition to my "date with myself.") At times, it's devastatingly lonely -- but there are times when that Friday night alone is what I look forward to all week. I think that maybe this Friday is going to be one of those...

By Blogger Jill Pole, at January 23, 2006 2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home